I fell in love with turnips when we tried our first CSA: I would never have purchased or cooked them otherwise, but now they are a delicious and inexpensive family favorite! I find they shine best with minimal flavoring and hard/hot cooking. Don’t cut the tops off – that’s an important and scrumptious part of this easy recipe. ~ Rebeccah
3-Ingredient Caramelized Turnips
(Vegan, Gluten Free Option)
Time: 10-20 Minutes Serves 2
- One Bundle Turnips (greens on)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- Soy Sauce (or Tamari for Gluten Free)
- Preheat a well-seasoned cast iron skillet on medium-high heat (non-stick is less ideal but will work). Add coconut oil and swirl to coat.
- Chop some of the greens off of the turnips, leaving about 3-4 inches attached to the root
- Halve the turnips (if you have really large ones, quarter them)
- Place them cut-side-down in the hot cast iron. Press each lightly with a fork for a few seconds to ensure a good sear. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cook 5-15 minutes (depending on the size), flipping once, until just barely fork tender. Lower the heat to medium if they are burning or splash a little water in the pan.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with soy sauce (or Tamari). Shimmy pan to coat well.
Feel free to comment if you try this recipe – let us know what you think.